From A to what could Be!
Product Management is a broad discipline that requires cross-functional buy-in and support. Mentoring and supporting the Product Manager in your business can make all the difference in ensuring they have the leadership and functional skills to create a compelling Product Strategy.
Many organisations offer Executive Coaching to those senior leaders responsible for corporate strategy. Mentoring a Product Manager who has overall responsibility for Product Strategy can also bring huge benefits.
As someone who worked at a senior level in Product Management and who now coaches and mentors Product Managers and Strategic Marketers, I see first hand the challenges they face.
What kinds of companies can I help?
- Those that have gaps in their existing management structure – perhaps where the CEO/Founder is becoming increasingly distracted with business development activities and is struggling to align the independent silos that are developing across the business – engineering, sales, marketing.
- Those that have an ad hoc approach to strategic marketing or product management – who see marketing as an outbound activity (marcoms) or product management as an engineering function rather than a top-table strategic business function.
- Those that are struggling to articulate a compelling Product Strategy.
- Those that have just hired a Product Manager and want to support this Product Manager to hit the ground running.
- Those that sometimes take a scattergun approach to market segmentation and market positioning and who are not adopting a structured approach to finding new revenue opportunities.
- Those that need unbiased help from a business mentor who can moderate crucial strategic conversations at a leadership level.
- Those that are time and resource poor but under a lot of pressure to deliver on investment.
What is the process?
IntegratedThinking use a 5 step Insight 2 Value process that combines coaching & mentoring expertise with a clear process and toolset to support businesses to:
- Capture Insights: An insight is not just data – it is the understanding that comes from a reflection on the data you capture from your customers and markets. Insights on business context, potential market opportunities, buyer behaviour and competitive landscape are the elements that drive great Product Strategy.
- Focus: on segmented and prioritised market opportunity that will drive revenue and enable the Product Manager to clearly articulate a Product Strategy that is aligned with market demand
- Position: create a market positioning statement that enables the business to differentiate in a competitive landscape
- Validate: the market hypothesis with key potential buyers using VoTC techniques to capture feedback
- Communicate: value to key target markets leveraging a compelling Value Proposition for each target market
What value will this give your business?
I have worked in the area of Product Management for over 15 years and I can bring value across three key areas for your business:
- Skillset – helping your team (Strategic Marketers and Product Managers) to adopt new skills that will enable them to be more strategic in their approach.
- Toolset – bringing tools and methodologies to your business that I have developed or used over years as a practitioner in strategic product management and marketing.
- Mindset – coaching and mentoring your team to be the best that they can be.
Product Management Skillset
- I bring a structured approach to how your business captures insights on market opportunities, focuses on the right opportunities, differentiates in a competitive market and validates Product Strategy with the market
- I have specific experience in delivering strategic product management and strategic marketing projects
- I bring insights from years of experience working with scaling clients – including through organisations such as Enterprise Ireland, Trinity College, IBEC and DCU Ryan Academy
- I am a qualified Executive and Team Coach and provide both coaching & mentoring support to get the team through a structured action-oriented process
- I have the experience to drive crucial and productive leadership conversations having worked at a VP-level in a large technology company
Product Management Toolset
- I adopt a proven methodology that helps to transform your business. I combine coaching questions with tools to support market segmentation, needs analysis, value propositions, business modelling and market positioning. Why re-invent the wheel yourself when there are tried and tested tools that will help you to make progress quickly
Product Management Mindset
- I balance a focus on the here and now, with an openness to new possibilities and ideas
- I am forthright and plainspoken
- Where there is a lack of purpose or direction I like to bring clarity and support the business with next steps
- I like to develop a climate of collaboration, growth and self development in any organisation that I work with
- I bring an outside view and insightful questioning/feedback to help senior leaders to unearth insights that will move the business forward
- I am not coloured or impacted by internal views and biases. I deal with events, people and facts as they present themselves
- I aim to develop a growth mindset in any organisation that I work with
- I create energy, enthusiasm and direction in order to foster a shared vision of the future to which all are committed.
I have over 30 years experience in the technology sector, working in Engineering, Product Management and Strategic Marketing. I have a proven track record in leading teams to deliver a portfolio of successful solutions to solve validated market challenges. I know how to link strategic marketing (commercial product management) with product & solution delivery, digital marketing and sales. My key focus is alignment across the organisation.
Through contacts developed over the years, IntegratedThinking works with industry veterans who can provide guidance to both start-up and scaling companies.